I have loved telling people I am engaged because I got so many responses of, "You were dating someone?" I haven't talked much about James on my blog or via facebook...mostly just because I didn't want to jinx anything...and it just makes this so much MORE exciting to announce! James is a frequent visitor of my blog and always tells me it's somewhat boring because I never share personal details of my life. I hope this post will be one he enjoys reading... :)
James and I first met about 2/12 years ago,
It was late August of 2009 and I had just graduated high school. It was a week I was to enter the college world. My friends who were going to the University of Utah invited me to go with them to "Crimson Nights." As a prospective BYU student, I had no idea was crimson nights was, but thought it sounded fun. I had just broken up with a boy, and was bound and determined to meet a new cute one. Liz, Mels, Rachelle, Maddie and I all loaded up in the car and drove to the Union building. Immediately upon arriving we were hit on by some slightly intoxicated boys. That immediately gave me high hopes for the evening...
![]() |
| In Line waiting for our tickets @ Crimson Nights. |
We walked around for awhile and realized that crimson nights is really only fun if you enjoy smoking and getting really drunk. Because we do not enjoy either activities, we entertained ourselves on the carnival type rides. :)
Just as we were about to call it a night I noticed 2 very handsome (and non-drunk) boys approaching us. One introduced himself as James Hawker. I don't want to sound cliche or cheesey, but I remember the first thing I noticed about James was his bright countenance. He literally had light in his eyes. James and I talked for awhile and he proceeded to tell me that he had his mission call and would be leaving for Germany in about 2 months. Dang it. I vowed to NEVER date a pre-missionary again. He asked me for my number and because he was good lookin, I obliged.
We went on a couple dates before he left and I found out I really really liked him, but didn't think I would ever see him again. After all, 2 years is a long time.
While he was gone, I wrote him 2 letters. Unfortunately neither ever got to him because, 1. I had an incorrect address and 2. I didn't have a stamp. haha.
While James was on his mission I dated many boys and got serious with a few. Despite any dating situation I was ever in my mom would always kindly remind me, "Marta, What about James Hawker? I think you need to wait and date him when he comes home." The funniest part about her on-going reminders was, She had never met James! Apparently my mother is very inspired.
About a month before James came home, I started getting really excited and saw on his facebook page, (not that I was stalking or anything) the date of his homecomming. I decided I would just show up and see if he remembered me. I was so nervous and spent about 2 hours the night before picking out my outfit. I went to his homecoming and was so impressed. Afterwards I walked to the front of the chapel and waited in line to talk to a very popular RM. James remembered me and seemed pleased when I told him I was no longer going to BYU, and I was a UTE. He was even more happy when I told him I now lived about 5 minutes from his house. Destiny. ;)
About a week after his homecomming James asked me on a date. ...and we have not spent more than a day apart since!
| This was taken after we had been dating about a month. |
Saturday April 7, James got down on his knee and asked me to be his wife! I was so shocked, I didn't answer. After many "James are you being serious?" and "James, if this is a joke again, it's not funny!" (I had a complex because he has fake proposed so many times.), he pulled a beautiful sparkly ring out of his pocket. I hugged him and he said, "soo...will you marry me?" I think I said, "Of course!"
![]() |
| My handsome Fiance. |
A word from the Fiance....
Hello blogging world! I'm glad to see that Marta has finally written something that is unique to her. Discussing excitement for spring break and family time is nice and all... but everyone knows that the blogging world likes something interesting to read and talk about. I'm pleased that Marta has finally announced I exist, seeing as how she has been a huge part of my life since last fall. I love her more than she loves J-crew, sparkly jewelery, or (non fat) frozen yogurt, and I cant believe I've tricked her into being my wife. I couldn't be happier, and anyone who reads this blog already knows Marta, and therefore knows - I couldn't be luckier.



Oh My! What a cute story! Marta i am so excited for you!!! (and James, good work!)
ReplyDeletethis is so cute! iii love it! love you m!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the family Marta darling! Your blog is adorable. XOXO
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!!!
ReplyDelete